About this New Literary Agent Spotlight series: We love spotlighting and profiling new literary agents —such as Britt Seiss of Martin Literary Agency — because they are actively seeking new writers and constructing a client list.
Literary Agent Bio: Britt Siess has seen all aspects of the publishing industry. She is a former bookseller, has interned for the Taryn Fagerness Agency, Wales Literary Agency, and Martin Literary & Media Management. Prior to joining Martin Literary as an Associate Literary Manager, she was with the sales division of The Quarto Group where she worked in domestic and foreign book sales.
Britt is a native of the Pacific North West but has never gotten used to the rain. She usually escapes the weather by popping into her local comic book shop or settling into a cafe with an extra-large coffee and a piece of cake.
What to Submit to Britt: She looks for stories that are character driven and full of strong, resonating themes. She’s interested in literature that completely immerses readers into new worlds and that is imaginative and diverse. She’s passionate about bringing more #OwnVoices stories onto bookshelves, and so she’s particularly drawn to literature that makes us reflect on our own society and confront the choices we’ve made. Britt is currently accepting MG, YA, and Adult submissions for manuscripts that fall under the Fantasy or Science Fiction umbrella, as well as MG and YA graphic novels. She is currently accepting Adult Fiction submissions in the Fantasy, and Horror/Thriller (women led) genres
Middle grade: Britt would love to see manuscripts by #OwnVoices authors that are diverse, character focused, and feature an unforgettable adventure. Fantasy that’s rooted in the real world or children stumbling upon a magical world is a plus. Contemporary stories that take on tougher issues are also welcome!
Adult: In Adult fiction, Britt’s looking for Fantasy stories that are inspired by cultures that are traditionally underrepresented, and that keep her turning the pages. She loves rich worldbuilding and immersive storytelling. She’d also like to see female driven thrillers that explore a woman’s experience in the world. Give her complex women! At this time, Britt is NOT looking for Science Fiction.
Graphic Novels: Britt is particularly interested in graphic novels for young readers. As an avid comics and graphic novel reader herself, her tastes range from contemporary stories that take on tough topics, to epic adventures in other realms. She welcomes any genre here! Author/illustrator submissions only please.
How to Query Britt: For all queries, please include a query letter, a detailed synopsis of your story, and the first chapter of your work pasted into the body of your email. Please also include a link to your blog, website, Instagram, and/or Twitter account. Please send your queries to Britt@MartinLit.com
ATTEND A WRITERS CONFERENCE IN 2019/2020. Here are some writers conferences WQP staffers are either speaking at or wholeheartedly endorse:
- June 29, 2019: Writing Workshop of Chicago (Chicago, IL)
- July 13, 2019: Chesapeake Writing Workshop (Washington, D.C.)
- July 27, 2019: Colorado Writing Workshop (Denver, CO)
- August 9, 2019: Sacramento Writing Workshop (Sacramento, CA)
- August 10, 2019: Writing Workshop of San Francisco (San Francisco, CA)
- August 17, 2019: Toronto Writing Workshop (Toronto, Canada)
- Sept. 7, 2019: Boston Writing Workshop (Boston, MA)
- Oct. 25, 2019: Oklahoma Writing Workshop (Oklahoma City, OK)
- Oct. 26, 2019: Writers Conference of Dallas (Dallas, TX)
- Nov. 15, 2019: Writing Workshop of Austin (Austin, TX)
- Nov. 16, 2019: Houston Writing Workshop (Houston, TX)
- Nov. 23, 2019: Arizona Writing Workshop (Phoenix, AZ)
- Nov. 23, 2019: Philadelphia Writing Workshop (Philadelphia, PA)
- March 6, 2020: Alabama Writing Workshop (Birmingham, AL)
- March 7, 2020: Atlanta Writing Workshop (Atlanta, GA)
- March 7, 2020: Minnesota Writing Workshop (St. Paul, MN)
- March 28, 2020: Pittsburgh Writing Workshop (Pittsburgh, PA)
- March 28, 2020: Kansas City Writing Workshop (Kansas City, KS)
- April 25, 2020: Michigan Writing Workshop (outside Detroit MI)
- April 25, 2020: Seattle Writing Workshop (Seattle, WA)
- May 2, 2020: Writing Conference of Los Angeles (Los Angeles, CA)
- May 9, 2020: San Diego Writing Workshop (San Diego, CA)
- May 16, 2020: Cincinnati Writing Workshop (Cincinnati, OH)
and click here for more 2019 / 2020 writers conference suggestions